Saturday, May 1, 2010

Does Anybody Really Know?





You KNOW that the RCVman HATES it when logistical ends don't meet at their appointed times or places. There is nothing like a plan coming together. And nothing worse than when you miss one little detail that spoils the whole effort.

Please allow me the stump for a quick tale, as I sit at McCarren waiting for the 8:45 flight home. Today went well. The iPhone buzzed on the nightstand at precisely 0400 and we were off and rollin. I had time to check the stats from last nights Husky Spring Game as Elizabeth was shouting in my French Slam order at Lennys. Met up with Doug, my local Honda 900 pilot at 6 and we cruised out to Sand Hallow in the pre-dawn desert serenity. Had time to get to the swim start and grab some very good video as the sun was lighting the way for 2,500 athletes to start their journey. Saw some old friends there and was generally happy to be back, even though I could tell from the twenty minutes there that another five hours on Doug's bike was going to challenge my core strength and lumbar stamina. No back rest. Nothing to hold onto, and I am tasked with holding on to the camera. Ouch.

But we made it through and despite the relentless winds, it was pretty nice out there. Got back to T2 in time to shoot some run footage and the top two men finishers.

Then it was time for the two hour drive back to Vegas and catch the aforementioned bird back.

Off the shuttle bus, where the driver earned a deuce tip for making me laugh, I glances at my Timex and thought, not bad, you still have time to shower at the Fitness Center, download some pix, do a blog entry, and start to prepare the todo list for Mondays departure for Alaska.

Except for the fact that there is a time change between St. George, Utah and Las Vegas, Nevada. One hour. 60 minutes. I coudda stayed and shot the Women's finish.

That was the plan outlined last night at Poncho & Lefty's. Looks like another logistical detail ended up somewhere else. Oh, well, guess I'll have a beer.

With any luck at all I will have some video up tomorrow night. Late. After packing and planning. What time is it in Juneau?

RCVman out from Vegas.


Pix: Old friends and a palette of colors at the Sand Hallow swim start.
The climb out of Gunlock.
Hot corner finish in St. George. The D is for Dixie.

No comments: