Sunday, March 22, 2009

When I talk


I am just about finished with Haruki Murakami's marvelous biopic, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. It interests me in many ways, the two most important, perhaps, being his willingness to share insights on writing, inspiration and interpretation, and, of course, his take on running and all that that entails. Maybe, as critics have suggested, his sums are much greater than his parts, as in, "This is what I thought about when running today". I do this all the time, and a great many RCVman blog entries are a direct result of the post run analysis of an endorphin induced brain storm. One of the many insights gleaned from his writing on this subject is this little gem: There are three reasons why one does not achieve their race day goals:

1) Lack of training,
2) Lack of training,
3) Lack of training.

Boy oh boy, ain't that the truth!!!!!!

Here is an excerpt from a review of his style and a link from The New Yorker about his running. The article was a main ingredient of the chapter I read last night at the end of a rather interesting and challenging day.

Murakami has long been obsessed with subterranean realms; his stories often wander into physical and psychic netherworlds. At the becalmed center of even his most extravagantly plotted fiction lies a steadying imperative: to make sense of the senseless. (...) Murakami not only renders the banalities of day-to-day life with a precision that borders on the tactile, he somehow evokes the queasy coexistence of something unnameable and altogether more bizarre.
Dennis Lim / The Village Voice / 12.6.2001

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/06/09/080609fa_fact_murakamihttp://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/06/09/080609fa_fact_murakami

Photo by LE from 2008 Ironman Hawaii. Could be labeled, "What I think about when on Alii Drive with 20 miles to go."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I think of the only marathon I ever ran I always recall the sight of a slightly beefy male runner face down in the middle of the road at about the 5K mark. Must not have trained...maybe.

KML5 said...

You mean 5K to go? If not, the guy was delusional. Hope he learned a few lessons from the experience.

Anonymous said...

No, he only ran 5K, and he had a lot of assistance so I didn't stop; but I kinda wonder what happened. Maybe he was nervous about the task or something, had a heart attack, who knows... Also wonder how often that happens to runners in marathons.

KML5 said...

Not sure, but there is usually a considerable amount of carnage towards the finish of every 26.2. It can get ugly (and there lies the beauty). Just read Murakami's narrative about finishing a ultra (62 miles) where he talks about his brothers laying by the side of the road crying. The Ultra-Man in Kona is a 10K swim and 180 mile ride on day one, then a 120 mile ride and double marathon, 53 miles on day two. One of the RCVman lurkers, an incredible athlete and three time IM Hawaii finisher, once told me that she wanted to do it. I just shook my head and muttered, wow. Lotta, LOTTA hurt.

KML5 said...

Correction: Ultra-Man is now Three Stages, 320 miles:

Stage I) 10K swim, 90 mile bike,
Stage II) 171.4 bike.
Stage III) 52.4 run.

No correction needed on the lotta hurt editorial comment.