Saturday, March 28, 2009

New Contest


"The 2004 Killer Red Syrah is a sophistication of seriousness and reserve, playfulness and irony. We think we know all about it, but yet its characteristics veil a fascinating hidden self. It is private yet accessible. Dangerous, yet harmless. Robust, intense, firm, yet delicate, temperate, and gentle - it's a killer red."

This is the label of the 2004 Killer Red Syrah from Columbia Valley Winery out of Benton City, WA (roughly between Yakima and the Tri- Cities on Hwy 82.) I bought a bottle at Central Market on Thursday (mostly because of the above) and am about to uncork (it has that going for it as well) and sample. I am pairing it with roasted soy nuts, strawberries and a Japanese cult classic titled Gozu. I love reading these label promos and revere this exacting copy-writing skill, as it has always intrigued me, much in the same way that highly skilled folks concoct the names for interior house paints. Coincidentally, the wall color over at RGs carport expansion project is called Chardonnay White. Tasty (with Edam, sesame crackers and Fantasia.)

So, the wine snobs here at RCVman are kicking off the first (annual) "You write the copy" contest to see who can come up with a poignant paragraph of perfect prose to promote the pink and purple pulp. Just post your entry in 'comments'. Winner to receive a gift certificate for a bottle of something from somewhere. You might want to rent Sideways in preparation. Contest ends April 15th, 2009 at midnight. Let us uncork the festivities.

12 comments:

KML5 said...

I am the blood of Vito Corleone, the tears of Pavarotti, the soul of Puccini. I sit at the red checkered tablecloth of delight with crisp white linen, surrounded by roses, candles and joy on this warm summer night in Bologna. Salute.

Don Snobalino Chianti Classico 1944

Looks like I am going to win a bottle of wine.

ej said...

DREAM ON. BY 4/15

KML5 said...

It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend; one's present or future thirst; the excellence of the wine; or any other reason.
Latin saying

ej said...

Is Huskie football in the catch-all provision or should it be added as specific sixth reason to drink?

ej said...

Here is my entry:

"Greatness, no matter how brief, is worth the corkage charge."

Yes, what a great entry. I'm assuming I won. Where do I collect my wine?

KML5 said...

The Montlake Dawgs have provide me with many an opportunity to hoist one in mirth and an equal number of times out of misery. Of late it has been the latter...BUT NO MORE! The Sark era began today and I am pumped. To answer your question however, I think they deserve their own category. I am sure Sonny (6) would agree.

Huskies vs UCLA, a cold and rainy November, 1989. Pinot Nior from a boda-bag toasts another Husky score, and the sirens wail. Bow down to Washington. Woof.

KML5 said...

Nice. But the contest is open until I have paid my taxes. That way I know how much I can spend on the prize. Ya never know, it might include a corkage fee. Feel free to enter as many times as you wish. I am working up another as we speak (can't take any changes here, now that there is some competition.) Surely we can't be the only wine drinkers in the GBA...

ej said...

One of the legal twitters wanted to know why she liked cooking but disliked folding laundry. I sent her a reply tweet suggesting that she should also drink Chardonnay when folding. Now, my gut tells me that this subject matter will provide the seed for another label promo...Lets see...

ej said...

PS - I think your beloved Huskies will be good again about when the Minnesota Golden Gophers win the NCAA in hoops under Tubby or for that matter when the Gophers win the Rose Bowl. Similarly, aren't the Huskies on probation for awhile? Ha, ha, the Huskies are just like my Blogger 'word verification': "falked"!

KML5 said...

Let's put a little perspective into this exchange. The last time Minnesota was in the Rose Bowl was 1963 (They did beat UCLA so good on the Gophs). They haven't been back since. The last time the Huskies were in Pasadena was against Purdue in 2000. We creamed the Boilers. That is 46 long years for the GGs and 9 (equally long and painful) for the Dawgs. Let's just say that it's been a lengthy dry spell for each, so if they happen to meet in 2010, I'LL BUY THE WINE (and it will be good!). Addendum: After a little consideration on this, and in light of our 0-12 record last season, should we, by some miracle, get to the RB, I wouldn't care if we got beat even by the Golden Gophers. (Now those Buckeye bastards are a different story altogether....)

ej said...

MN has always played by the rules (at least in football).

KML5 said...

They have never been guilty of 'unsporstmanlike conduct' and assessed 15 yards (and loss of down)? They have never had a kid play who was academically ineligible, they have never had an alumnus hire a recruit for the summer? They have never provided a tutor for a kid who needed math help? We got busted for political reasons on charges so trumped up the best coach in college football resigned in protest and disgust. There are rules and then there are 'rules'. Such is College Football and the law. This is definitely making the case for the sixth category.