Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Standard Disclaimer




The standard disclaimer

Before each of our 22 shoots last year I would spend the requisite time with my driver, motorcycle pilot, and crew (if any) going over the shoot details. This is the big picture, this is your role, here is what I need you to do, if "A" happens, respond with "B", if "B" happens respond with "C", and should "C" happen just keep doing what you're doing until I make up a "D". That is just the way it went as each course dictated its own special and unique set of challenges on race day. I would finish the indoctrination session with what came to be known as "the standard disclaimer", or the communication that whatever happened over the course of the next 56 or 112 miles, that under no circumstance were they to take ANYTHING I said, personally. This is the heat of battle, gentlemen we have a job to do, there are precious few rules, we invent protocols as we go, and, worse, out there are power crazed volunteers, off duty rent-a-cops directing traffic and the frustrated general public in overheating vehicles stuck at (hopefully) closed intersections. Not to mention several world class athletes trying to earn a pay check and two thousand or so age groupers going, sometimes out of control, as fast as they can. All in all, a cookbook recipe for disaster. That we made it through the season without serious* incident only affirms my belief in the validity of the project. There were times I'm quite sure we were being watched over and looked after by a higher power. A smiling higher power I might add, 'cause we were having some serious fun out there, and that is what makes it all legit.

Which brings us back to the standard disclaimer. It was brought to my attention that some of my posts, comments, opinions and/or tales of the dance, are borderline, ah, self incriminating. Yes, I have touched upon such sensitive subject matters as sex, drugs, alcohol abuse, rebellion, anarchy, God, rock and fucking roll, war, mans inhumanity to man, race relations, sex (again), corruption and greed, the R rating, erotic literature, fast cars, alternative religions, organic food, pollution, industrial waste, relativity theory, beautiful women and sleek bikes, and that these opinions, comments, points of view and/or observations are not necessarily shared by those of management. Have you heard this before?

So let it be known. That the opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of, well, anyone but me. It's kinda like the Miranda of RCVman.

* I will define "serious" at another date.

OK. Let's rock 'n roll, he said grinning with gumption.

No comments: