Sunday, March 30, 2008

Bikes

"I'm gong to stick my neck way out on the chopping block and suggest the the bicycle is one of the greatest inventions of all time," he said earnestly in the general direction of the freeway overpass. "It's got it all, form, function, fun, freedom. And not to mention the incredible cost savings as an alternative to sitting on your fat butt driving an oil-aholic car".

Was his car really an oil-aholic or was he, were they, in denial? He laughed at the simplicity of the remedy. Don't need no twelve stinking steps, just three.

1) Park your car.
2) Get a bike.
3) Ride it.

Pictured at left:

My first ride. Musta been circa 1953. 3100 Stanford Ave. Venice, CA. (What is now Marina del Rey). The driveway at Grandma Scamper and Papa Ralphs was perfect for stunts. Caption: "Take these damn training wheels off and I'll show you some serious air". Photo by Mom I am quite sure. All rights relinquished.








The Raleigh M400 (loaded) on the Golden Gate Bridge on my first (of two so far) trips up the coast from LA to Seattle. This one took 23 (incredible) days. 1993. Photo by me.


Steve still owes me $200 because I made the trip in less than one month. That was the bet and Darren attested.


Got home on Halloween. The last days ride was chilly and I had to stop for gloves in Elma, a tiny town I would come to know and love.






The Great Panuzi in action climbing Richter Pass during Ironman Canada 2001. The 1999 Softride Rocket Wing was the state of the art tri bike for about four years. Jurgen Zack rode one (much faster). I am on the outside with blue DeSoto suit and not the good looking guy in yellow (whom I am about to pass).

This blog is supposed to be mostly about bikes and bike training. I digress daily. But not today.




So let's go ride.

No comments: