Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Work What Works

255.

On the ground, in the car, at the site. Security is tight but we quickly pass the checkpoints and ID clearances arriving at the mobile command center ahead of schedule. Preferring not to advertise my temporary handicap, we leave the chair in the SUV. Mutt immediately extends a fist for me to bump with my left hand, opposite of my assisted right. I am surprised to see Davis and Saunders already sharing a small workspace towards the rear of the sublimely outfitted RV.

"Anything more from the perps?" I ask of the room.

"Negative," comes the answer from Davis before a sarcastic, "good to see you too, sir."

"Right, sorry, who is working what, please," I say attempting to mollify and manage simultaneously.

Davis again takes the lead updating us with the latest from Vegas. Saunders offers her update as liaison to Julie and Harlan, and Mutt does likewise with the on-site and on-going forensic investigation. My interest is drawn to the white board on the war room wall providing similar data as our significantly more advanced and sophisticated Eagle Room Big Board, but it is the methodology with which we are all familiar and have all used at one time or another in our work. In our work, we work what works. I ask Mutt his opinion on our level of confidence with the midnight deadline demand. As I listen to his response, somewhere between "some" and "uncertain," the fact remains that to ensure the 'odds against' are as low as possible, we need to take the offensive and beat them to the next punch, or as TOM was fond of saying on special operations and always with great effect, we need to "find these fuckers."

I ask for everyone's attention and outline the chains of command and points-of-contact for the varying operational departments, finishing with the directive - disguised as a request - that we keep all lines of communication clear and open and above all, share incoming data and intelligence. This has to be a team effort. And this team needs to win. I refrain from using the crude metaphor that we are already down 26-0. They get the message.

"Agents Davis and Saunders, I want you two to find Mr. Bartowsky," I announce the assignments, "Drysdale please tie up the loose ends holding together Sarccino, his handlers at the brick DC Colonial, Jeremy Covington and Senator Hartaugh." As I say this the space stills to a muted hum, the only sound coming from the giant diesel generator ever faithful on its sole mechanical mission.

Davis and Saunders are already half-way to the door so I ask Mustang to get us set up in the space they have vacated. Mutt and his team are called away to review a new development, leaving us alone with two data analysts and an exhausted EMT providing a debrief.

"What's our assignment?" she asks.

"I'll tell you as soon as I have a little chat with The Queen."

No comments: