Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Politics?

 240.

"They abhor it," I answer Mustang's question as we navigate the twenty miles from our office to the Sarccino house in Arlington, VA.

"Then how does it work?" She asks with sincere interest and innocence.

"A number of ways, first and by far the foremost, is our relationship with the AG. He and his staff are intimately familiar with our work and the relaxed guidelines extended to us after 9-11 in regard to terrorist activities. In a word, they trust our judgement and would rather us apprehend hostiles than have another national security disaster strike as we wait on the standard judicial process to play out," I copsplain to her noticing that my cell is buzzing like a pissed-off bumblebee. Before I answer it I add, "and then there is politics."

I see that the caller is Harlan and answer. "How we doing Boss?"

"Still parked at the Colonial waiting for their return," he says," but I just got a call from one of the AGs staffers, an ally, and it sounds like we have ruffled some feathers."

"Whose feathers and how were they ruffled?"

"Seems that one of the officers that we commandeered to assist in Sarccino's takedown was a little more detailed than necessary in the filing of his report. It went up the chain pretty fast and when it got to the chief he called the DA, to gripe…"

"… yeah, yeah, let me guess, and then the DA called the AG and the AG called Julie and Julie called you and…" I annoyingly speculate.

"And I am calling you, right. They are cool with the takedown but a little heated over you taking all their negotiation leverage by offering, he actually said, 'giving', them the sweetheart of all clemency deals without their knowledge, oversight or authorization."

"How did they even know about the deal?" I ask perplexed and smelling rodents in the room.  

"At this point we suspect if was one of the agents at the bureau who assisted with the interrogation. Probably unsuspecting, something we'll tighten up. Point is…"

"Point is," I interrupt, "is that we are handicapped enough as is without their cumbersome paperwork process slowing us down even further, and until I am instructed otherwise we will continue to operate under the enhanced autonomous protocol negotiated by TOM. Sorry to shout at the messenger, but them's the facts, should you need reminding."

"I understand, I'm on your side here, just passing along the info."

"Copy, keep me current. And thanks."

Mustang exits the George Washington Parkway and heads towards Ashton Heights. I sit starring straight ahead processing the data. Recognizing my focus she allows a few minutes of silence before her next question.

"Politics?"

No comments: