Saturday, December 19, 2020

Get On In The World

 244.

"Where are we goin'?" asks VJ as we, at last, begin the journey back to DC. The cleanup at the crime scene took longer than expected; Ms Sarccino transported to a local clinic for observation and treatment, the pair of kidnappers booked into custody, Covington with the provisos promised during the negotiation, the Explorer impounded and the house locked.

I am in three-way communication with Julie and Harlan, providing and receiving updates as Mustang pilots the SUV back in the direction we came. "We have the kid and request a safe landing spot for a few days while dust settles," I add to the mix, "we are inbound, eta twenty minutes."

Still undecided on the detail of backstory appropriate at this point on the timeline I turn my attention back to VJ. rolling the dice with intuition on betting the hard eight. "What grade are you in?" I ask twisting my torso, shoulders and head as far as possible to address him in the rear seat.

"I am a sophomore at Western Arlington High," he says with a refreshing amount of pride and accomplishment.

"Play sports?"

"Football and track."

"Favorite subject?"

"English, creative writing and Physics." At this Mustang adjusts the rear view mirror to get a better look at him, interest suddenly piqued.

"Would you say that you are a better athlete or a better student?" I inquire sensing that he is enjoying the attention and exchange.

"Ooooh, good one, well, my football coach says I should stick with scholastics and my teachers say that I should stay with sports, so I would say that," he pauses in obvious contemplation, "I would have to say… that a combination of the two might satisfy the requirements for a balanced growth transition to the next phase."

"You might enjoy philosophy," adds Mustang, slowing in anticipation of the chronic jam of traffic near our exit.

"I do," he answers without hesitation, "as a matter of fact, I was reading when those two lowlifes broke into our house and started to harass Mom." At the recollection of the recent traumatic events he softens his tone and continues, "I came across this passage in a grammar book I was using as reference for a story I am working on - actually sitting and working it out in my mind - when they broke in." He again pauses to get the quote properly arranged for delivery. "Nobody should be cut off from the inner well of confidence required to get on in this world."

Impressed and in total agreement, I compliment his acumen with, "We are going to get on AND get along just fine my young friend."

No comments: