Thursday, December 24, 2020

...Do You Think?

 249.

"Cyrus."

"Yes, your, what I assume, is your ex."

"We haven't spoken in eight months and the first thing you ask about is my former boyfriend? What a dick."

"Yeah, well, diplomacy was never my strong suit, so yes I apologize, but it appears as if your previous operation has decided to get back in the terror game, somebody called C claiming credit for a diminished scale IED bombing in Orlando this morning." I explain without the standard operating formalities.

"C?"

"That is what domestic chatter, news media and our flip, are saying. We're en route as we speak, but, ya know, on second consideration, maybe we should start from the top, like, how did they use to say in the Saturday cartoons? When we last left you?"

"Or your favorite cop show, 'Previously on 24'."

I have to acknowledge her wit and talent in the recreation of the big TV voice using the Hollywood device reminding loyal viewers of what has already taken place leading to the daily drama of the current episode. "Good one, right."

"OK, I'll toss them out there, risking the obvious imminent disaster that could result from our need for immediate intel. In this order: Are you OK? Are you still in? Are you ready to get back to work? And lastly, are you on speaking terms with Cyrus?"

Without hesitation, she fires back her stream of consciousness response: "I have been better, thank you, but I am OK, yes, fully committed, perhaps now more than ever, yes I'm ready to go back in the game coach, and I don't know, with Cyrus, I mean, we haven't spoken since the coup, when that son-of-a-bitch betrayed us, orchestrated the mutiny and stuck my ass in lockup."

"He wasn't directly involved with the operation in Bozeman?" I ask, pleased with the solid information.

"No, he assigned, from the little I could gather, some gangster from a Nazi farm in Idaho to run that shit-show, a guy they called Blitz, he was the one your sharp-shooter drilled through the ear during the breakout. I am sure he is rotting in Hell as we speak, hopefully now with his other ear burning."

I risk the million dollar question: "Was your cover blown?"

"I don't think so, all they seemed concerned with was the drone, the helmet and the Big Board codes. I don't think they are smart enough to connect the dots - professionally - between you and I." She says with relative objectivity.

"Were you subjugated to enhanced interrogation?" I have to ask, trying to phrase it delicately with undertones of political correctness.

"Fuck do you think?"

No comments: