Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Tell Me About Cyrus

 248.

I can see that Drysdale, normally staid of character, is upset. His outburst at the news, although a sentiment shared by all, caught even himself off-guard.

"No need for apology," I offer as olive branch, "everyone in the room feels exactly the same way. The 'women and children' line we once respected as sacrosanct has been erased, vaporized. It is our jobs, our mission statement, to protect and defend, and if their immoral and violent tactics insist there are no rules - then with gloves off it is."

We observe a moment of silence to absorb the implications of the terrorist attack. Julie brings us back to the task at hand and reminds that the critical post-attack period of time for forensics is now ticking in double-time.

"I want you three aboard the Gulfstream and wheels up in thirty minutes," she moves confidently into command mode, "Grab Mustang on your way, and we'll get temporary backup from the bureau for VJ."

Perhaps to demonstrate his complete recovery Davenport stabs his last slice of waffle and chases it with gulp of coffee. And we are out the door, but not before I ask politely, a ploy Julie immediately recognizes as a tactical decision, more order than request: "We could sure use Davis and Saunders about now."

Drysdale has my back as we hustle towards the SUV, pushing past what a tachometer might call red-line. By the time we get moving out of the underground parking, Harlan calls to update the departure time, now D minus twenty-five. In response I call Mustang to include her in the code-red scramble, "Meet us on the street in five, tell VJ to stay put and that another agent will be there within the hour."

I have the nagging sensation that I am forgetting something, the image of a penumbral eclipse coming to my subconscious mind's eye. Despite our strict adherence to emergency protocol training and preparedness there…is…something…

…The Sea.  Of course, how could I be so...

I call the clinic where The Queen remains under observation and navigate past the staff and lead Physician, finally hearing a faint, for her, "Hello?"

"Tell me about Cyrus."

No comments: