Friday, November 20, 2020

An Offer

 215.

Sentenced to an overnight stay for observation, I try to use the time wisely to our advantage. We have a lot to do, and without credible intel, no telling how fast this game-clock is running. I am alone in my suite, a talking head from the small TV recapping the election results, aftermath and fallout from the recent popular AND electoral college beheading of a wanna-be King. "Where votes are a razor sharp guillotine," I add to her commentary.

I have all but decided to hire The Neurolgoist to our team, per her request. The pros of this decision are several, her medical acumen, familiarity with police practice and protocols and, perhaps most important what feels to me like her being family. She will also replace Drysdale as my 'motor' freeing him to tend to the more important duties of a field agent. I make a mental note to get additional information on her fathers's professional relationship with TOM. The cons are her lack of tactical experience and special training. Regardless, she will go through the vetting process as any other newbie prior to actual admission to the team. Julie will be here shortly to discuss her being added as the additional member of our team, joining myself and Drysdale on the front lines.

I have the same gut instinct with The Neurologist that I recall having with Violet Hayes, a very clear and positive vibe whispering that this is not only a good hire, but potentially a great one. I recall how during my Director days, the motto saying to 'always hire people that are smarter than you' regularly seemed to pay off. It certainly has with Julie, Davis and The Queen. It again strikes me that on this particular mission, the IQ factor will play as large a role as the SWAT one. We are going to out-smart them I hear myself say, the terrorist group, Hartaugh, Adelson and his goons, or anybody else dumb enough to sand between us and the ultimate success of Operation Firecracker, or OF 2.0 I immediately correct.

A courteous knock announces Julie's arrival. She enters the dark room and pulls a chair close to bedside as I mute the TV. I am not surprised in the least when, after the usual pleasantries and updates, she hands me a file folder. I look at her wondering if I missed an assignment and then at the file. It is a complete bio, background, education and work history executive summary on The Neurologist. We exchange nods as I understand where she got the tip and she where I got its stimulus.

"She already has a low-level security clearance," Julie tells me. "It would take very little to get her up to speed in that department, and you will notice an interesting item in her work history, just prior to her current capacity."

I scan the impressive resume with my right index finger. It comes to a complete stop on the line announcing a three year stay in Quantico, Virginia.

"Bureau?" I ask.

"Strategic Information, Operations and Fingerprints and Biometrics, second in her class."

"Impressive."

"You can pick 'em," she adds, affirming my hunch.

"You know her history with TOM?"

"Being her Godfather?"

Caught unaware of this detail, I close the folder and hand it back to Julie, she my hire who has taken the top spot in our small clandestine operation, replacing the legendary figure who lives on as the spiritual advisor to our current applicant.

"Make her an offer," I say with as little subtextual innuendo as possible.

No comments: