Monday, April 26, 2010

Why?


I have never been able to decide whether, in mountain exploration, it is the prospect of tackling an unsolved problem, or the performance of the task itself, or the retrospective enjoyment of successful effort, which affords the greatest amount of pleasure.

-Shipton, Eric Earle

I suppose that we have a lot on common with mountain climbers and their ethereal mantra, because it's there! I have given a great amount of thought to this over the years and over mountain passes. Why do we do this? What is the allure? Why suffer and endure the pain and hardship? Why not just stay on the couch and guzzle ale?

Why run? Why 13.1 or 26.2? Why ride a bike for 100 miles? Why drag ourselves outta bed at oh-dark-thirty to sit on a stationary bike and listen to a maniacal ex-cheerleader's version of the top heavy metal ten? Why try to get faster or stronger?

Why race?

My observations, experiments and opinions on this subject indicate that there is really no one, all-encompassing reason. It is personal, a ceiling to floor, meat to poison, half full to half empty equation. Here are a few samples of how this question is answered:

Because I like to challenge myself.
Because I like to compete.
Because I live for the thrill of victory.
It's risky and I like the adrenaline rush.
It satisfies a deep need.
Makes me feel like somebody.
I like to win.
There is effort and skill and strategy involved.
It's like war.
I like the way my body feels under stress.
I like going fast.
It defines me.
It feels good.
There is a social component in teamwork.
Self reliance.
There is a woman involved.
Money.
Fame.
Glory.

All good. And all valid. We have an obligation and a responsibility to use the gifts we were given for their greatest good and to their highest truth. This means stimulating the mind, nurturing the spirit and using the body. Instinctively we know this. Sometimes we get busy with real life issues and neglect one or the other. Our bodies are so miraculous that they can run on auto-pilot, drained of oil and with little maintenance for several years. When we neglect the body, the spirit suffers and the mind weakens. We begin to think that success means having assets, that might makes right and medicine and technology will solve any problem. Maybe what we really need is to take some deep breaths at altitude and consider the ramifications of our actions a little closer. And I also think we should hurry. As in get this done fast. Today.

This is a race. Every individual in this race is doing it for a different reason. We have challenges. We face dramatic and important global issues. There is a need for effort. From everybody. We need to get faster and stronger. We must endure. What if we all raced for the same reason at the same time? Why?

Because it's there. And we are here.

10 comments:

ej said...

I spin therefore I am. If its Monday it must be Bainbridge.

FW said...

Since I'm in this mostly for fun, it occurs to me that this subject is also a question of pie. As in pie chart. As in, what percentage of your participation is made of what combination of elements?

So my pie chart would have a big chunk made of fun, and other pieces made up of the stuff you listed off.

Yes, I do like my pie a la mode.

KML5 said...

I got no problem with pie or fun. Or fun as pie. There is a time/space element involved also, I think. Ask one of the runners yesterday if they were having fun mid way up Toe Jam and most would scoff. Ask again at the finish line and most would say yeah. I am firm in belief that the harder the effort, the greater the challenge, the higher the mountain....the sweeter the pie, or, if you want french vanilla atop, you gotta earn it.

FW said...

That's interesting how I almost forgot those times when I've bonked and run on fumes on those double centuries and other long distance what the heck were you thinking kind of rides. After finishing one ride which took three tries over three years to complete, I did say to myself, well I won't have to do this one again. So now the question is, can I do it faster and stronger this year?

KML5 said...

THAT is the ala mode I'm lookin for!!!!!

ej said...

I would work out more if there were more women involved.

ej said...

PS - Would the following description by one writer of a "tough hill" compare to anything on Bainbridge? How long is Baker and what is the avg grade?

"Heart Break Hill is about a mile long & maxes out at a 12 percent grade."

FW said...

Baker Hill, going west from Lynnwood Center Road, is mostly 12% to 13% as it climbs 300' in about a mile to Lariat Loop Rd.

KML5 said...

Well, I've done both. Had my heart broke shooting for a sub three at Boston in '97 and been baked near Lariat Loop. REALLY looking forward doing them both again and trying to get them right.

ej said...

Thanks, I don't think I'll be walking my bike then.