Thursday, April 1, 2010

NOLA

Hey gang. Sorry for the silence. I am in NOLA, specifically South Lafourche Parrish and even more specifically, in a town with no Starbucks (!) called Galliano. Doing a shoot for the sister company of CT aptly named FloScan. They manufacture marine and aviation fuel flow sensing equipment to save the owners money on fuel and the planet further pollution and unnecessary warming. It is about as far as you can get from indoor cycle training, but they print their logo on every check that is sent to RCV HQ, so when they ask if I could get my high-def camera on a low-budget flight asap, there isn't much room for debate. None actually.

This flat stretch of Bayou, called the Gateway to the Gulf is hot. It is humid and there is an APB out for gnats who seem determined to be the first species in the history of civilization to be everywhere at once. There is no wi-fi and spotty cell reception. We are just south of the middle of nowhere. A very far cry from the LA I was in last week, this LA, roughly 90 minutes from the French Quarter, is all about water and oil, and the mixture of the two. This job follows the commerce dots all the way back to Shell Oil. Water, in myriad forms, surrounds us. Bubba Gump Shrimp? This is it.

I am on a lunch break at the library using their PC because somewhere between Minneapolis and NOLA my trusty Mac G3 laptop came up missing. The authorities have been alerted and I check in daily with Delta Airlines, Alamo RAC and the NOLA PD. Nobody has seen it. They are getting tired of me asking. I am quite sure that they would be most appreciative if I was to just get my hi-def camera on a low-budget plane and get the hell home.

As would I.

Lot's of pix later and we even shoot a Part II Move the Rock last night at sunset. The attempt at humor was in replacing the rock with an oyster shell. HA ha. So be well VBA, we're scheduled for a Sunday return, but the install crews are working round the clock shooting for a midnight to 1 AM wrap up, so maybe I'll get out early for good behaviour.

Right.

No comments: