Monday, April 19, 2010

Spinergy


The synergy is:
Carbon fiber, aluminum and rubber. Light and strong. Light and forgiving. Soft and durable. Together they comprise the materials on my racing wheels. Ten years ago they were the top of the line. Now they hang along with a 1960's Schwinn Varsity and my Grandfather's ancient Motobecane. They are 650c Spinergy RevX, now retired. As much as I would like to bloviate on the pleasure and race exhilaration with which they have provide over the years, that is not the point of todays post.

The point is of synergy. The combinations that make things what they are, or better than they currently are. No one who races bikes will argue that steel wheels are lighter than carbon fiber, or that deep dish is less aero. Some are technological advancements, some are simply us coming to an understanding that sometimes things work better, or best, in harmony with other things.

In yesterdays post, we talked about fueling the workout. Additional research and a honest inspection of my habits provided today's "ah-ha" moment:

1) Just because it works for me doesn't necessarily mean that it is A) perfect, or B) that it will work for you. As an example, I have known, trained with and raced against many 22 year old athletes who fueled their efforts with a regular diet of cheeseburgers and beer. I don't recommend this (even if you are 22).

2) Am I so stubborn to think that "conventional wisdom" is the apex of established fact? Again, because I choose a vegetarian diet, eat "bad carbs" for breakfast and indulge in coffee and red wine probably more than is optimal, can I sit in confidence, comfortable that there is no margin for improvement?

3) And if there exists a margin for improvement (always), what is it and do I have the resolve, desire and methodology to test, and achieve?

4) Will eliminating bread and soy milk (processed) matched with, say, and additional 5 miles at lactate threshold on the bike per day, make me any faster? Bottom line: WHAT IS THE SYNERGY THAT WILL GET ME THERE?

By now we all know (don't we?) that the combination of diet and exercise is beneficial towards good health, fitness, a higher quality of life and fast tri times. Today I want to know, specifically, what diet and how much exercise. Further, I am willing to be a lab rat to find out. Or to try to find out. To test the results of the combination of things.

There are a lot of variables. Lots of choices and many paths. I am not satisfied. I want more. I am willing to pay the price, and by that I don't mean replacing my old Spinergy's with 2K Zipp 808s. I mean, further testing and training. A new synergy.

Less bad carbs, and more good ones. (Even if that means a pear with coffee!) Better stress management. Higher quality workouts (not just more miles). A greater appreciation of the process. More grins. The wheels keep turnin'.

Carbon fiber, aluminum and rubber.

3 comments:

ej said...

http://www.startribune.com/sports/91461774.html?elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUsr

KML5 said...

Lot's of Golden Gophers in the top five, congrats. Here is my favorite new trivial question: Who was Greg Meyer? Bonus points for knowing why.

ej said...

http://bostonmarathon.runnersworld.com/2010/04/1983-champ-greg-meyer-eager-to-lose-one-claim-to-fame.html