Sunday, April 18, 2010

Waffles



I'll fess up. Breakfast is my fave. I LOVE pancakes and waffles. Scramblers and hash browns, sourdough with strawberry preserves. Endless cups of steaming coffee, fresh squeezed orange juice. Yeah baby, happy morning musette.

But what about before a workout or race? All that good stuff can fill you up and slow you down, not to mention the gastronomic challenge of intestinal processing. Know what I mean?

Sometimes when out on the back roads of America I scout out my 'breaking of fast' options, which provides me with tons of motivation and anticipation. I found Grandma's while in Albany last week and ate there three consecutive mornings. Had their blueberry cakes, a three cheese omelet and their fabulous Belgian waffles. Super home fries and real orange juice. Coffee was so-so, but that is fine. And the boss likes the fact that each of those meals was under $10 and lasted till dinner. I am such as cheap date.

In a few minutes we are pushing off for our Sunday ten miler and I suddenly realized (again) how important the choice of meals is towards the fueling of the long run. Here is what I like to eat PRIOR to a workout and how it adequately provides me with the necessary octane for my tank, this after years of experimentation.

Early morning hour high intensity spins: One slice whole grain toast with apricot jam and coffee. Two large glasses of water.

Afternoon recovery 5Ks: Water and a banana or fat free Fig Newtons.

Long runs: Super onion bagel with red pepper hummus, coffee, and water.

Long rides: Bagel, banana, coffee and water.

Sprint Tri: Whatever leftovers are in front of me, coffee and water.

Oly: Bagel, banana, coffee, water.

70.3: Hour and a half prior: Oatmeal with strawberries and bananas, bagel, coffee, water.

IM: 2.5 prior to start: Short stack blueberry pancakes, two scrambled eggs, home fries, coffee, water.

You might look at this menu and think, that's pretty light, and you'd be right. I like using stored energy and the feeling of lean power. Hate sloshing and feeling bloated, and not just before a workout or a race. I want this motor to run clean, not stutter, plod or backfire. Many Ironman events are known for their rolling smorgasbord aid stations, so even over the course of 140.6 miles, food is never far. Start with a full tank and you can top off as necessary. Know, via practice, what types of foods mix well with your electrolyte replacement beverage. I have learned the hard way what Gatorade is best paired with (and it's not chocolate chip cookies!)

Spend some time in the lab and experiment with what works best for you. Oh, and please notice that water is included with every fueling.

Don't waffle on that.

1 comment:

ej said...

Eat like a caveman, hunter, gatherer.