Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Trek Travel Day Three


iPhone pix o the day:

Bottom right: Trek Travel Guide John is the first one out of the Inn parking lot at 0900 sharp!
Top right: The RCVman WFB set up at Los Alamos Park ready for take 3.
Bottom left:I have always been awed by these majestic Red Oak trees, always.
Top left: Drum Canyon Road.



Trek Travel Day Three

Another beautiful day for riding in and around Santa Ynez. Oh, and Feliz Cinco de Mayo amigos. The group did around 60 miles today with two climbs of note and a lot of rollers amid the vineyards and ranches. Not to difficult to imagine why so many people come here to log miles, pros included. We found out at dinner last night that Lance LOVES to ride the Fig in preparation for one of the TdF stages, perhaps 17, if I recall, as the climb closely mirrors the Alp's grade and length.

On a tech note, knowing some of you come here solely for this, I used the "Wildflower Bubble" today under the camera to absorb a little of the road vibration which I was told predominates the first climb over Drum Rd. In other words, the road sucks. And it did. Pretty common for single lane, sparsely used mountain passes, but still a major league PIA for the RCVman. (I would have paid big bucks to hear Heath Ledger say that as TJ). I shot this 16 miles THREE TIMES because of all the switch-backs and because I found out the hard way that the WFB (Wildflower Bubble), actually an inflated child's water wing gaffers taped to the rear view mirror, can, with enough road vibration, roll the focus barrel-ring enough to wreck your shot. And since I can't see the viewfinder from the drivers seat, I didn't figure this out until I had already spend two hours and two trips over the pass. As Robin might say, "Third time's a charm RCVman." After all this the second half went very well and I believe it will produce a stunning RCV for the Trek folks to enjoy. Which is, of course the RCVman's way of saving the day.

Tomorrow is yet another day and my last with the group. Going to test out the new Sony MHS-PM1 HD camcorder on the Trek Madrone, as a section of the route is on a spectacular 'bikes only' path through Ojai (like OHIO without the final O). As of this moment, and it may change, I am leaving at COD to get to SB and ride this 20 mile portion, then ride back so I can meet the group, drop off the bike, say so-long, drive to LA, ditch the Sebring and catch my 1800 flight home (with a stop in Portland.)

All for now VBA. I need a cape.

No comments: