Saturday, May 30, 2009

Special Mention



Special Mention

Every once in a blue moon (the Italians say, "Ogni morte dei Papa" every death of a Pope), RCVman stumbles across someone or something that is exceptional. Someone who goes the extra yard, is helpful without being patronizing, or is simply a master of his or her game. In all actuality I have met lots of people who fit this description, so when someone stands out they REALLY have to be special. As an example, do ya'll remember what customer service used to be? The Fredrick and Nelson standard? Or maybe in today's harsh day to day reality, just being polite is enough. With this as the intro I present two examples of which I speak, both from my recent visit to St. George, Utah.

Example One: I had a late lunch at the Bear Paw Cafe on Main Street the day of my arrival. Having forgotten that the 120 miles East from Las Vegas warranted a time change, I wandered into the cafe, fame del lupo (hungry as a wolf) and was seated by a incredibly beautiful girl with a million dollar smile. They serve the best waffles in Utah from 7-3 365 days a year. My watch said I had plenty of time, at 1:59. I ordered, I ate, I enjoyed, I was the only person in the cafe, I thanked her for a terrific meal and as I was adding the tip to the bill a couple walked in the front door and was told politely that they were closed. It was then that I realized that I was an hour slow (and quite possible a day late), and the staff had made me 'the exception'. Embarrassed but pleased I quickly added another number to the total and bid the gals adieu. If you are going to St. George in the future, EAT AT THE BEAR PAW CAFE.

Example Two: Tonya at Tri-Hive negotiated a deal with the La Quinta for a discounted room rate for the athletes participating in our ride. The amenities at LQ are superb, desk space with plenty of outlets, giant LCD, and more pillows than I could use in a month. I was only there for one night, but as I travel with severe special electrical needs, I normally consolidate all my gear in one area of the room for "RCV stuff" and then "other". I hung my favorite blue dress shirt in the closet and changed into more casual wear (appropriate for hiking). Now please remember folks that RCVman, over the last three years of this project has been around the world, he has stayed in hostels, cars, airports, flea-bags and homestays. Up until last week he has never, NEVER, forgot anything or left anything behind. But this time I left my favorite blue shirt in the closet. I remembered it the next day and went back over to the LQ and James, who is signed up for IM SG and rode with us Saturday looked high and low for my garment to no avail. Oh well. So imagine my surprise when I get a call yesterday from the LQ GM saying that they found my shirt (in the laundry) and if I would call them with an address they would be happy to send it to me. WOW. If you are in St. George in the future, STAY AT THE LA QUINTA.

Thank you and thank you.

The LQ is at the base of this wonderful trail.
The BPC is on Main St across from this street sculpture.

2 comments:

ej said...

you need to join YELP.

KML5 said...

I need Yelp, or I need to join Yelp? THAT is the question.