Monday, December 24, 2012

Weakness leaving


You know, there is ALWAYS a lot going on. To use that as an excuse for NOT doing something is weak. Weakness being a key thematic element of today's ramble. It is Christmas Eve. There will be chaos. After our impromptu hour-long spin session, I will hop in my little blue Volvo, itself a gift, and drive to the mall for last minute shopping. I tried that last night, locally, after reaching a decent stopping point on the kitchen remodel project (a not so cleverly disguised attempt to cover up the leaky roof) and a run in the park. I went downtown layered in wool, cotton and gortex looking for something "meaningful" for my 10 year old nephew. He is the only one left on my list. I found nothing. 

I felt horrible. He deserves more than a football, a book or a over-priced board game. He is so mature that if I were to give him just a card and a hug, he would say something like, "I know it was a tough year, and I know you are doing the best you can, so please don't worry, we'll be OK." 

Kinda Tiny Tim all over again. 

So I take the wisdom of this fictional encounter and wonder, IS THIS REALLY THE BEST I CAN DO?

While researching disappointment strategies the other day (after the Las Vegas Bowl) I came across some tangible ideas and jotted them on my reference list. The experts suggest that in dealing with sadness, loss, disappointment, one should:

Let it go and let it flow.
Have some perspective.
Be true to thyne own self.
Accept the reality.
Trust in, have faith for, the bigger picture.
Use as an opportunity for expansion and growth.

Those all sound so familiar. Converting the weak to the strong. They say that it is a process, something that takes place over time. This fitness thing of ours, one day at a time. Building on the success of the now, moving forward with hope, with faith, and with gratitude. Trusting the voices of value that echo from our hearts, lungs, cells and muscles. 

I hear you. 

Pa rum pa pa pum.

All I want for Christmas, much like the Little Drummer Boy, is to give my best. Giving my best means I sincerely and honestly understand what that means. Have I explored, listened, worked hard, diligently and focused, with dedication and desire, to convert some of my weakness to strengths? 

Perhaps the greatest weakness of all is in not trying. Knowing that there exists a cancer and choosing to ignore. Pretending that all is well when it is far from. Denying the song of our souls. Constricting, cowering in the shadow of fear. NOT doing. Accepting weakness. 

There is a lot going on, inside and out. I am going to be the change. I am going to take one step today towards that BEST I so desire. 

We have a week to get our 2013 resolutions together. As you might expect mine come nicely wrapped in three categories:

DIET
EXERCISE
STRESS MANAGEMENT

There are others, but gains in those three would move me brightly out of the weak. 

Con brio e molto vivace. 

Happy Christmas Eve dear friends. Peace on Earth. 

No comments: