Thursday, December 20, 2012

Champagne with You


I have been thinking about this for a while now. The ONE thing I would do should the Mayans be right, and the end of the world be 24 hours away. 

I am not interested in a juicy fillet mignon, Dom Perignon 1955 or even a double banana split. There are no material items that would fit. Because you can't keep 'em nor take 'em with you. Same with legal tender. Might as well light a Cuban cigar with a roll of Franklins. 

Experience. I would want to be in the moment deeply with one that I love. That is about it. That beautiful Bruce Cockburn line from Last Night of the World, "except for champagne with you." 

I would want to take that emotional truth, sincerity and love with me to, well, wherever. To use the end as a beginning. To a higher light. A cleaner vibration. More love without the weight of the world continually dragging me down to the muddy depths of societal conformity. 

This is metaphor. There exists nary a reason why we can't take the idea of the last night of the world and apply it to each of our remaining days. Give me naked truth. Give me unfiltered emotion. Give me freedom so raw it hurts.

Listen to Will Smith, Steve Jobs and Tony Robbins talk. There is a commonality they share. They are passionate about sharing their truth. They know from experience that if they can persevere, create, inspire and transform, that we all can. They also have a quality that keeps many of us from the achievement of our goals and aspirations:

They work hard at it, relentless in pursuit, tireless with infectious joy and a clear sense of destiny. 

I find this particularly inspiring. I find it immensely empowering. I find it true.

If this is the last night of the world and there is no tomorrow. It has to be about love. Champagne with you. 

Pic: None required. 

No comments: