Sunday, March 20, 2011

Spring has Sprung



A masterful performance this morning by Stephanie and Apryl. The Mercer Island Half was the 13.1 mile test under near perfect racing conditions. The rolling course, while certainly a challenge, is a kitty-kat compared to the beast of Toe Jam (coming up in just a few short weeks). My friends, there is a world of difference between 'hills' and 'rollers'. Today was a series of relentless rollers, which I find a nice compliment to my strengths, but not of the 'hill' category that we are accustomed to riding and running on our home turf. I believe that it is safe to say that the legend of Mercer Island has been found to be something more of a glorified campfire story.

Which does not diminish the gal's efforts one bit. You still have to run it. And today Stephanie:

Set a 1/2 PR @1:54:04 (UPDATE: Official time was 1:53:57)
Bettered her performance in Seattle and Poulsbo.
Took a 4th in AG.
Made a statement (and ran happy doing it).

I trust she is pleased. I am pleased for her as today represented five months of solid cross training and focused work. Today was payday. The bogey was to go sub-2. We had a solid training plan, a workable (if not brilliant) strategy and all the race ducks in a row. The only task left was the doin'. And do she done.

Apryl, meanwhile, coming off a broken leg and ACL overhaul only a year ago, having competed in a Cross-Fit tournament the day before and working until 11:30 last night (did I mention that the last time she ran with us was 6 weeks ago?), just trots out and runs a 1:45. Of course she is 28. Still. (Updated 3.28).

So way to go ladies. It was a great first day of Spring. I am very proud of you. Congratulations and we'll see you in the HoM in the morning to start the ramp-up to Toe Jam. Where we have REAL hills.

Spring has sprung.

The gals at sunrise, Apryl on the left and Stephanie. Three hours and 13.1 miles later we celebrate with pizza and beer at Vivaci. Steve has the Peroni. Salute!

4 comments:

Stephanie Rohl said...

I like this entry, but the "official" race result says 1:53:57... I need to shave every second I can! Thanks, again, for the rockin good time!

KML5 said...

Congratulations on an inspired performance. Time duly noted. I must have been a few steps behind (as usual). Way to go gal. I wonder how April is feeling today?

Apryl said...

Hi there, I really enjoyed reading your blog as well, however, I also have a few minor changes. Being a little different from the norm, my name is spelled Apryl and My time was 1 hour 45 minutes (I don't remember the seconds). No big deal really, it was a lovely read! I had a lot of fun running with you guys too! Thanks again!

KML5 said...

Hi Apryl, at least I got your age right, eh? Updates noted in text. Hope all is well. How was dinner?