Saturday, March 26, 2011

Fun 101 Ride Update

The deals have been made. Bank of America, via Visa has graciously allowed me to reserve four rooms in four towns spanning almost 400 miles of Highway 101 in the Great Pacific Northwest. We have made the commitment and are in ramp-up mode, stage one. Trip is five days, May 2-6. We have five riders and one support vehicle. If you (or someone you know) would like to join us, here is how the finances shake out:

ONE HUNDRED BUCKS PLUS FOOD.

For five supported biking days including shared motel accommodations, around one of the most historic and stunning loops known to civilized man. Surely, I must be joking.

For once, I am not.

I have done this loop three times, but always on my (trusty) mountain bike, fully loaded and self contained, read: Heavy. Tent, bag, tools, clothes, food and miscellaneous gadgets all contribute to a sluggish ride. This time, we strip it down to carbon and muscle. Let the sag wagon haul the gear and we'll throw the bones to see who gets the couch. Warm showers, cold beers, hot tubs. 70 miles a day, dry clothes, my laptop, camera and maybe even a book. WOW.

After a google-fu it is apparent that the RCVman is being magically called back to this region to document the trip as there is currently very little video that adequately depicts the beauty of this ride. So I will do it.

I volunteer.

At $100 (plus food) I can't afford not to.

Pic depicts the Olympic Loop. Locals will take great joy in reading the dated text hailing Winslow as a "quaint village".

No comments: