Thursday, September 16, 2010

Tomorrow Never Knows


Before we get her spinning today, a few groovy links:

What we eat.
Where we ride.
Who we are.
Bike fit tales.
Where we're going.

Working on several projects today. The GoPro Stereo mount rig, conversion of Nations Triathlon video, production of the (soon to be famous) CompuTrainer Cruise to Mexico commercial, and of course packing to get out of town tomorrow for Branson, Mo. I need to get in another run before our test video ride around 4, meaning that there is little time for sloth. Like there ever is, right?

One last story from DC. if I may. You will recall that a while back, after reading the Rolling Stone Top 500 songs of all-time on a trip to who knows where, I set out to do a similar piece, calling it, appropriately, The RCVman Top 100 Spinning Songs of All-Time. How quaint. Fast forward to last week when I headed towards WDC, another copy of RS in my lap, this time the Top 100 Beatles tunes of all time. Day in the Life, Let it Be, Hey Jude, yadda-blah, yadda-blah. I have my own, including Dear Prudence, Yer Blues, Taxman, SPLHCB, and Revolution. This may be the most subjective list ever attempted by cyclists or fans of pop music. Or even the combination of the two.

So I finish the fascinating commentary (George Martin was a genius) and instead of leaving the RS in the Jet Blue seat pocket in front of me as a random gift for the next passenger, I tuck it in my bag to give to Kathy as a hello, look what I got for you present. Because I know she would enjoy the read and have her own commentary. Good Morning, Strawberry Fields, Here Comes the Sun, Michelle.

We are hanging out at her cozy condo late Sunday night after the soggy Tri near Foggy Bottom, I on the laptop, she on the couch, when she asks, reading the article, "Tomorrow Never Knows", how does it go?

I am perplexed and semi-shocked that I can't immediately rip off the first three verses, and I think, wow, good one. I try some lyrics and some melodies, a guitar solo or two and nothing is working. I have no clue. Another milestone has been reached. I am stumped. She says it's from Revolver. I go through the tracks, needle dropping PVC to no avail.

We let it go and return to business as usual. But it is killing me so I google it. We listen. I had forgotten how completely revolutionary this song was at the time. Still is. Not your average Fab Four pop blockbuster. Young girls do not scream to this tune.

Relieved, I go back to work. An hour later, I am on the couch verging on sleep and to prove my subjective point I google Top 10 Beatles Songs. First one on the list is a YouTube piece with Hey Jude at Numero Uno. Standard fare. I open another and they have Yesterday as One. One more then sleep. Come Together. OK, just one more.

This site calls themselves a review house for video games, alternative pop culture and all things cool. OK, I'll bite, let's check their thoughts on THIS one.

I am frozen. I think I whispered hoarsely, OMG. Kathy asks, concerned, what?

I hold up the iPhone in horizontal mode so she can see from across the room. #1?

Tomorrow Never Knows.

I have been stumped.

3 comments:

ej said...

that where we ride site is great.

ej said...

check out this Live Wire clip of the Lake Tahoe downhill. its about 4 stories or so down the line. what kind of camera can do that? http://www.aberrantphoto.com/blog/

KML5 said...

ej-The Vegas Gran Fondo is still open, easily accessible from Seattle and cheap. I have a double room downtown if ya wanna go ride.

If you mean the video camera it is a GoPro, the same one I use, and will be using tomorrow to best test some 3D footage in Branson. I don't know what lens he was using to shoot the stills. Good glass, though.