Monday, January 4, 2010

Wharf Rat



UPDATE: The hike home from spin class this morning was intense. It was raining hard, water was flowing downhill in currents that would get even NOLA's attention. It was dark. In order to avoid what appeared to be commuters less than thrilled to be heading back to the office after the holidays, I had to ditch it three times. Off into the trees and mud, blinded by high beams, as they squealed past throwing curtains of muddy water. I was soaked. Drenched like a rat under a wharf despite the gore-tex and the multi layers beneath it. It wasn't bone chilling cold, that was the good news, and my focus was on each foot strike to keep upright. I did NOT want to go down in the mud, especially if a Mercedes had me square in the headlights. Pain OK, embarrassment, not OK.

Finally made it up Devils' Dip and into the park. The squalls from last night had created another river crookedly connecting the duck pond to the overflow reservoir. The sun was starting to weakly light the east with a liquid gray. I was glad to be in the park. Whew, that was work, I sighed to no-one as Jerry's guitar solo from Wharf Rat echoed in my soggy brain. Da dada da DA DAAAA.

My name is August West..........

Back at the cabin that first cup of strong black coffee could have been the best ever, an honor currently held by San Francisco circa 1972. Dry clothes, a monstrous two hour workout (nice effort kids!), and a cuppa rocking joe. Excellent start to the day.

Asked me for a dime,
a dime for a cup of coffee.........

And I sit and look out my kitchen window at rain falling down everywhere with a purpose. Skies deep charcoal and steam rising from the ground like a earthen sauna. I am very happy, deeply satisfied and alive. My fingers are pink and wrinkled.

I got no dime but,
I got some time to hear his story.....

And I think that maybe once (or twice) is enough. And go into the studio to call for a tow. Just not safe. You have made your point. Get it fixed.

But I'll get back on my feet someday,
the good Lord willin'
if He says I may.......

No comments: