Saturday, April 17, 2021

There They Are

 354.

Mustang has the Escalade humming at 80. I call Agent Kirkpatrick with an update and ask if he has heard anything from the DHS regarding an immediate evacuation. "Not a thing," he replies, "what's going on?"

I fill him in on RKA, the dead cats, Beth and Jules Hampton in a succinct thirty second highlight rap. His "Hummm," for a response leaves me thinking he is holding intel from us, and I have a suspicion that I know what it is. I decide to steer the action. "This is what I'd like to do, "You'll get the evac order any minute, what it hits, please release Shoemaker and Sheener using the emergency order, and a bond posted by Jules Hamption, as the reason. Please make sure they get their cell phones back when you process them out. Send me their cell numbers asap. Copy?"

"It's your call, but I will warn you that they cannot be trusted on the street."

"I agree, but we have a plan. One more thing, do you have someone on staff, there right now, who can drive for me, in an official vehicle?" I ask.

"What's wrong with your rig?"

"Not a thing, but we need two vehicles if Boots and Sheener decide to split up. Get me those cell numbers, we're ten minutes out."

"You got it, and the code red evacuation order just came through, they are vetting it upstairs. Shit is about to hit fan blades. Do you have anything specific I can do here, now?"

"Get me the phone numbers and a car and driver for now, thanks AK."

I terminate the call and immediately ping The Queen. She answers, as always, with a snarky but cute, "You never call, you don't write, no e-mails…hello?"

"Have you received the evac intel on Sacto?" I waste no time in asking.

"Just now, what's up?"

"If I get you two cell numbers, and one calls the other can you triangulate and get me a GPS location on both?" I ask crossing my fingers.

"I could if I was at my desk, but out here it could be tough, a bit of a challenge, but I'll give it my best shot - maybe 50/50 - in what is probably hair-on-fire-need-it-yesterday mode no doubt. Give me the numbers."

"I only have one right now, waiting for the others, I'll call as soon as I get them, should be any minute. How is Madison?"

"It's a boring burger, nothing."

"Thanks, stand by."

We arrive at the Capitol building and it is a human volcano, people spewing from every exit like lava flowing down the side of a mountain. We park at the main entrance where a young rookie agent nervously stands next to a white Ford with US Government State Department stenciled on the door. "Where is Agent Kirkpatrick?" I ask.

"He said for me to wait here and he'll be right back."

Surrounded by chaos I get a text. It contains only two lines: Shoemaker 415.237.6628 & Sheener 310. 498. 2455. I forward the numbers to The Queen along with those of Jules Hampton and Howard Turkin.

I ask the rookie agent from which exit released prisoners would most likely depart after posting and he points to a reinforced portal about sixty feet away.

I huddle with Mustang, "When we spot our boys running for cover, you tail Shoemaker, close, do not let him out of your sight - but don't get made either. I'll so the same with Sheener. If my hunch is right we'll all end up at the same place. Stay in radio contact."

She is about to respond to my order but changes her mind and issues another, "There they are, let's roll."

No comments: