Monday, April 19, 2021

Let's Do This

355. 'Boots' Shoemaker and Sheener both carry artifact bags containing their clothes and personal possessions they were wearing and carrying at the time of their arrest. It appears that Boots has taken the lead as he points to a six or seven story parking structure and hurries towards it, Sheener in tow. Mustang watches them closely, taking chase once they disappear into the structure. I watch her jog across the lawn and disappear into the concrete edifice as my phone rings. "I'm 85% confident that we are good to go on the GPS triangulation," says The Queen without formality, "I sent you an app that I hacked from Google Maps that will show you where the four numbers are, but you gotta stay in decent wifi range, open the app and away ya go." "Perfect, good work, thank you, and, pun intended, wish you two were here." I download the attachment and open the application. As advertised, I see a black and white city street grid with four color coded icons, one each for Boots, Sheener, Turkin and Hampton. I am not surprised to see that Turkin and Hampton are on the other side of the Capitol, stationary. People are still running from the rotunda, but no cars are leaving the parking area, part of the security protocol for emergency evacuations I assume. My cell buzzes with Mustangs ID code, "What do we got in there?" "There is a shelter in place command precluding anyone from driving out," she reports, "I have eyes on both perps, they have changed clothes and made one call each. Shoemaker is wearing Levis and a Oakland Raiders sweatshirt and Sheener is in olive drab cammys and a Pearl Jam T-shirt with a Cathcart ball cap. They are headed out of the East exit. Should I follow?" "Yes, but keep your distance, Turkin and Hampton are here also, they are most likely headed towards them." I hobble to the opposite side of the Capitol building, as directed by Mustang's live intel and The Queens GPS app. In less than five steps I locate Shoemaker and Sheener, not exactly blending with the scrambling suits and ties of the government workers moving in the opposite direction. Ten seconds later I spot Mustang as their shadow about 200 meters behind them. They are taking a 'shortest distance between two points' route towards Turkin and Hamption, who now appear to be in the same vehicle. I verbally curse my handicap as I move to meet them at the surprise party. I verify the location on the GPS app and confirm visually that the vehicle in question is a black Dodge ProMaster 3500. I watch Mustang pull up behind a eucalyptus tree as the two rap twice on the sliding side door of the rig and enter. "If I had a grenade launcher this would be over in ten seconds," I think, perhaps flashing back to similar field ops in SE Asia jungles, crumbling townships in Bosnia and Taliban strongholds in Kabul. "You got eyes on this?" I hear Mustang ask on the radio. "Yeah, hang tight, I'm calling for backup." I am making the transfer of radio to cell phone when I hear an explosion coming from the parking garage. I turn to see a monster truck with white supremacist, nazi and River Kats logos smash through the parking security gate and head directly towards the Capitol in a direct line, scattering those still seeking cover in the garage. It is not moving fast, but seemingly cruising for photo ops on the lush capitol lawn. The ruts it leaves behind on the manicured grass tells me it is carrying a hefty payload. I tell Mustang to prepare to take the ProMaster in one minute, "The truck is a radio controlled car bomb, and the controller is inside the van. Help is on the way but not fast enough, you take the drivers side and I'll take the passenger side. One minute on my mark. Any resistance, shoot to kill. Do you copy?" "Copy Boss, let's do this."

No comments: