Tuesday, April 6, 2021

He Likes Her

344.

Sergeant Crouthers takes great delight at the spectacle. To him watching two interviews with a pair of hardened criminals; using 'new age' methodologies, is better than any opera his wife has drug him to. He is astonished at my success, but noting that offering a Texas sized steak to a starving inmate is borderline cheating, gaming at the least. I join him in the control room and ask about the current situation with Mustang and the younger of the two felons.

"Hard to say, but I will tell you one thing, Mr. Sheener here, sure likes the looks of your assistant," Crouthers says with a slight hint of what might be construed as jealousy.

"Tell me about Sheener."

"Adopted and abused child, ward of the State, in and out of every lock-up from San Ysidro to Crescent City, violent, certified sociopath, found a home with the River Kats, we have him on gun running, conspiracy, parole violations and two counts of rape. He is, to coin the popular TV vernacular, a habitual offender," he rattles off in one breath.

I listen with one ear but have both eyes glued to the 'conversation' talking place inside the small room,  tastelessly decorated in cold steel and concrete. I ask Crouthers to slightly increase the volume.

"None whatsoever?" I hear Mustang ask Timothy Sheener, obviously in the middle of an ongoing interrogation thread.

"None, why would I? Remorse is for losers. I have absolutely no regrets for anything I have done. Society, bad luck and fate have conspired to deal me this shitty hand. You think I should get a job, to pay rent for a rat-infested dump and not have enough money left over to buy decent food, wear new clothes and buy gas for whatever clunker I've jacked? Fuck that. I do way, WAY better on the other side."

"But the other has its share of drawbacks," she says.

"True, and if you are referring to my current situation, this, like everything else, is temporary and won't last forever. I'll get outta here - one way or another - and then its back to the game. I don't know nothing else, get it?"

"I do, I just think that you aren't giving yourself the opportunity to succeed, and I wish you would consider, or reconsider, going straight; learn a trade, start a new life, meet a girl, you know, we have programs set up that provide the opportunity and curriculum to do just that, we could get you started."

"It's too late for all that, and anyway I'm not good with girls, check my record, you'll see."

"Counseling is an important part of the program, we help restore your self-confidence and help you through the rough spots."

"Too late," Sheener says, shaking his head in defeat.

"Look, I have a medical degree and graduated from the FBI Academy, and my boss, who is currently talking with your partner in the room next door, is almost seventy and recovering from three point-blank shots from a Glock 9, if I can, and he can, then you can too. It's never too late, you're what 26? Prime of life Tim."

I can't help but comment, "They're on a first name basis already?"

To which Crouthers reiterates, "I told ya he likes her."

No comments: