Wednesday, February 17, 2021

After You

 300.

Upon delivery of her line Bess keeps her eyes on me. As I keep mine on the Senator's wife and as she keeps hers on her husband sitting at the head of the table. "If ever there was room full of people trying their best to keep a group secret, this is that," I think before moving towards the Senator to whisper that it is indeed Bartowski who has escaped, adding that there is no cause for concern, and that this is simply a professional update on intel relevant to the homeland security committee that he chairs. 'Wanted you to be first to know." He nods and thanks me for the update, asking again if I would like to join the celebration. I consider how some men deal with power as a tool and others like a toy. I decline his offer with as much manufactured gratitude as I can summon, wish the group good-night and move towards the door.

Bess ad-libs, "It IS Bartowski isn't it?"

I stop and pivot on my cane to address her, "I'm afraid that is confidential, ma'am, but please rest assured that you are in no danger, we are simply taking appropriate precautions for your safety and security. You have a United States Senator as your host and we plan on keeping he and his guests far from any possible danger."

"Well THAT is comforting, but I will tell you from personal experience that the guy who escaped custody is a scoundrel and capable of mayhem the likes of which should cause a great deal of concern. So thank you very much for your assistance," she attests.

"If you have information that might assist us in the re-apprehension of a known terrorist I need to talk to you about it in a private setting," I answer beginning to sense her play.

"If it is who I think it is, yes I have information that might be helpful," she offers with the perfect combination of intrigue and patriotism.

I pause to consider her play and its potential impact of the others in attendance, and decide to trust her inside knowledge of this casual cabal, "When is a good time to discuss this?" I ask, "the sooner the better - and most convenient."

"How about right now?"

I make the 'maybe yes and maybe no' face, shrug my shoulders and say, "I hate to pull you away from this," I scan the table, "VIP setting, but sure, if you can give me twenty minutes I think it would useful, and important."

She pushes back from the table grabs her Gucci handbag and bends to kiss Sharkey on the cheek he has offered. "This is good," I grade and watch.

Bidding the group a formal and gracious adieu she makes the grand gesture of "After you" and we are off.

No comments: