Thursday, February 25, 2021

A Noted Exchange

308.

I am running as fast as a man using a cane for one leg can. In a desperate attempt to find some type of flow, even a touch of athletic grace, I can't keep my mind from a nagging question: Why do I not have a script for this, where is my cheat-sheet, is there a precedent hidden deeply somewhere in long forgotten files?

Goldson's bodyguard and I arrive within seconds of each other to find the 'extended family' gathered together making plans. In a casually arranged circle stand Goldson and his assistant, the Senator and his wife, Harlan, the Senator's aide, Sharkey and Bess. The temperature of discussion ranges from luke-warm to red hot. They see us coming and curtail their discussions to hear whatever update is available. Predictably the bodyguard who ID'ed Bartowski walks straight to his boss and presents an ear-to-ear accounting. I watch closely and note Goldson's reaction to the private news. Should he look towards me as he processes the real-time data, I know we will have another dynamic with which to negotiate.

He does not.

I launch into my ad-lib with the vigor borne of acute thespian stage fright. I can hear my inner acting coach strenuously suggesting that I quickly find a relaxed state of focus and, once achieved, give 'em a little hell-bent attitude. Be your best authentic self - and break your other leg.

"If I could have your attention please. Here is the latest info and our revised plan of action in response. First and most importantly, I feel that the danger has passed and you are all safe. We have experienced an attack consisting of a bomb threat, the detonation of an electronic pulse device, an attempted robbery and arson. We have one perpetrator in custody, he is wounded and expected to survive," I pause here to allow the impact to be absorbed, paying particular attention to the Senator's wife. I take a breath and continue, picking up a modicum of momentum somewhere along that path, "It is my decision that this meeting will need to be adjourned in order to ensure your safety. Therefore as soon as we have permission from the fire marshal and forensic team to re-enter the building we will do so in order to pack only absolute necessities and prepare for immediate departure. We will all travel on our GulfStream back to Orlando asap. Your packing will be supervised by one of our agents to ensure efficiency and your safety, Harlan with the Goldson group and Myself with the Senators entourage. I anticipate wheels up in less than one hour. We will arrange for transportation to the airport. Thank you for your cooperation and we will answer any questions once the process has begun."

The response, about as far from a standing ovation as imaginable, sounds like a cacophony of chaos, everyone taking at once, fighting volume with volume, regardless of rank or file.

I walk away from the group under the guise of needing a quiet place to take a cell phone call.

"Sharkey, did we capture anything of value between Goldson and Hartaugh?" I ask via com.

"God I hope so, we were wrapping the deal sans documentation, and I tried to keep the conversation on topic and broker them towards a totally verbal agreement," He says, turning away from the group to answer, "If my wire and one of the Chameleons live to their marketing hype, we should have documentation above and beyond."  

"Alright, I think we have enough. Play it out. Bartowski is the down perp. Try to keep them calm. We'll regroup in Florida, over."

I use my cell to get clearance from the fire marshal and forensic team to allow the makeshift check-out. They both begrudgingly agree. "We have been cleared for evacuation, please follow these protocols: One: Pack only a single small carry-on bag and one medium sized check-in bag. We will ensure all your remaining garments and everything you brought here will be packed and shipped to you as soon as possible. Two: We have thirty minutes to complete this operation and get to the airport. Please follow the lead of Harlan," I point him out for Goldson's group,"and Senator and company please follow me."

Surprisingly they follow my orders where we begin the process of fleeing the scene of the crime. I lead my group up the auxiliary stairs and down the soggy hallway. We are passed by two paramedics pushing an obviously injured patient in the opposite direction.

The Senator's wife rubbernecks a look, trying to grab some passing identification. She does and is about to cry out in shock as she is grabbed by the arm by the Senator, a powerfully intimidating move designed for emergency use by someone wishing for such information to remain confidential.

I note the exchange and usher them on.

No comments: