Tuesday, February 16, 2010

In Hand



A new category has emerged this fine morning from a combination of my low biorhythms and it shaping up to be a slow news day. Hey, St. Valentino, Cupid, Eros, George and Abe are a tough act to follow. Although Apollo Ohno and Kevin Smith seem to be doing their best. The new category is simply this: Pictures of things you can hold in your hand.

Here are the first two in this new and exciting art-venture:

One: Had a chance to have coffee with my old buddy Tim last week at the Library Bistro in the Alexis Hotel, Madison and First Ave., downtown Seattle. Tim was instrumental in getting the RCVman camera pointed in the right direction way back in 2002. We shared the many tales of biking, racing, and business that have colored our experience in the past eight years as we ate brioche french toast with bananas, walnuts and caramel. I probably had one cup to many of their fine coffee, but at $4, I was going to get my fair share of refills. Tim will be riding in San Diego for the fondo so we'll have more from the former two-time All-American Duathlete down the line. A good man, and fast.

Two: Guess what showed up in my mail box Saturday? Ye olde pink envelope from Barbara Stephenson, the Kitsap County Treasurer. Oh, Joy. Contains my property tax statement. It has been laying on the kitchen table for three days now, unopened. I don't have the brass right now to fillet. Too much pain (as a direct result of too little gain?), so I'll let it mellow a little, sealed and safe, as I try to find the balance between feeling abused and exploited and contributing my fair share. I will give the County credit for one thing, however, sending out the tax statements near Valentines Day in pink envelopes is pure genius. Gotta hand it to 'em on that one.

Coffee and Taxes. In hand.

2 comments:

FW said...

I got my pink envelope too. Nice to see that the assessed value of my real property reflected market conditions. Glad I don't have to sell any time soon!

KML5 said...

You mean I can open it now?