Sunday, February 21, 2010

A Bench in the Park




Sat on a bench in the park with head tilted towards the February sun. Watching kids on bikes, couples with dogs and roller bladers with ear buds. Geese set down on black skis. Robins hopped about enjoying another free lunch, not a care in the world. And I thought, "If it was like this always, would we appreciate it as much as right now?"

Probably not.

Looking back, I think we took advantage of the opportunity. We carpied the diem. The Sunday indoor HIT 90 minutes was great. We were carried by the flow continually upping the ante till there was no more room on the felt table. The erg chips were stacked high. Heck, even Mack the Knife made an appearance (down by the river don't ya know).

Knowing that el sole was heating up outside the HoP, five took off for a follow up 15 miler featuring the sig climbs of next weeks Chilly Hilly. Susan and Katie forgot their helmets and I forgot my gloves. By the top of Baker Hill I was thinking that I wished I had left my hat behind too, and least at home I wouldn't be fighting off frost bite. But we hammered it out, the big thaw on the last mile, natch.

Then my bench in the park.

And then a little 5K recovery run in preparation for tomorrows 0530 class and the start of another week of opportunity and hope.

I made some mistakes this week. A few errors of omission and one of commission. I let some deep-seated frustrations surface at an inappropriate time and place. I could have gone harder, smiled more, said 'thank you' a few more times. I most certainly could have found a less bombastic way to relay a few messages. I really wanted to say I Love You and mean it.

And I suppose I wanted to hear it too.

Park benches in the sun will do that to ya.

Pix: You WILL take a left at Frey and Battle Point Drive next Sunday! Junior stalks Honkers as shadows grow.

No comments: