Saturday, June 28, 2008

Me and the Arrow

Had the new Sony HDV HC7 camera delivered yesterday by FedEx (ohhh, there it is). I was out in the yard working on the Shooter Scooters camera mount when he drove up, parked and headed towards me with the goods. There was the truck like a HUGE mobile billboard in my driveway (a dirt road with a fir, cedar and maple backdrop) almost begging for recognition and acceptance.

"OK", I says to the driver, also sporting the logo on his well worn cap, "how many people do you suppose have never seen the arrow?"

He froze, turned on one heel, not an easy manouver in inch and a half rock, and stared at the truck, and hence the unmistakable BRANDING on its side. He looked at it for a very long while and I started to suspect that it was possible, although VERY unlikely that even HE had never seen it. At last, he looked towards me, smiled and announced, with great sincerity, "95%".

He then, added, "Are you in the business?"

I went into an detailed explanation of how my work as RCVman includes decades of prerequisites in graphic arts, marketing, advertising arts (my major in college) design, etc, etc, until I could see that I was losing him with the dullness of my verbal resume.

We both agreed that it was in the top five of all-time brand logos, joining (this is my list) the Nike Swoosh, Coca-Cola, Playboy, and Apple.

He had to go, after all the arrow represents speed and efficiency, said so-long and walked to his rig. Stopping as he opened the door to climb in, he turned and said, "It is pretty cool, thanks for the comments".

"Thanks for the camera."

So have you seen it? Here is a commentary on its creator.

http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000273.php

No comments: