Tuesday, June 10, 2008

1967






1967

Did you think that RCVman gave up the ghost? Broke a femur? Got thrown in the slammer? Was on a week long bender? Doing a hippie sabbatical on top of Mt Tam for a few? Nah.......

I must apologize for being out of touch for what seems like an eternity (or life without parole). The disgustingly ancient (not even close to quaint) Travel Lodge wanted ten bucks a day for internet access, a graft I consider excessive, so I relied pretty heavily on gmail, totally global on the version one iPhone. Sorry to be cheap, but apparently it is in my DNA, even if I could write it off as a business expense. GP, ya know?

I love SF. Always have. Walkin' in the Mission (in the rain), hangin in North Beach. The Wharf. The Stinking Rose. City Lights Bookstore. That big red bridge. The Presidio. Attitude. The City has it like no other. I wish sometimes that every year could be like 1967. Maybe 2009 will be.

The Accenture (they include mentions in the contract so you hear this a thousand times) Escape from Alcatraz triathlon is a blast. As SF is to every other city in America, this race is to every other swim, bike and run. Start your day by jumping off a ferry in the middle of the bay and swim the 1,500 meters in 56 degree shark infested waters to the SF Yacht Club. Run a mile. Saddle up and ride 18 of the toughest, most technical, challenging and scenic miles known to the sport and then do a mostly trail run of 8 miles, on sand, up stairs, under that big red bridge and finish at the Marina Green in front of what seems like half the cities population. Sound like 1967? A lotta fun. Almost free love.

Had a pretty decent shoot, captured the energy and explosive excitement of the bike leg and feel confident (I am downloading the video as I master Boise), that this one will be what we have all been waiting for: The Real Deal. The roads are pretty rough and the out and back thru GG Park is like a mine field which will test the smooth cam software like never before, but I think I will be OK. As in very OK. As in fucking great. Just like 1967.

You will be the first to know.

I head out again tomorrow morning for the UK 70.3 on Sunday and then IM France the following week. Don't know what type of WIFI will be available so this might be another test of your (and mine) patience. That said, I will do my best to keep you informed, entertained, and updated. As always.

"Sometimes the lights all shinin' on me
other times I can barely see
lately it occurs to me....."

you know the rest.

No comments: