Tuesday, June 3, 2008

28




28

Twenty-eight years ago. It was 1980.
Jimmy Carter was in his last year as POTUS soon to be replaced by Ronnie R
GPS was introduced and launched
Omar Romero was assassinated in San Salvador
Rosie Ruiz wins the Boston Marathon (NOT)
Mt. St. Helens implodes
John Lennon is shot by a fucking lunatic
The Phillies beat the Royals in the WS
Empire Strikes Back is released
Iran and Iraq go to war over oil
Alfred Hitchcock dies at 81
We finally find out who shot JR.

And now my comments on the above:

I always liked Jimmy Carter because he was honest and sincere. Not a great statesman, not a typical Southern diplomat, not a super orator, but you knew where you stood on the big issues. He didn't get a lot of help, not to mention respect.

I wouldn't be writing this is it weren't for GPS.

There was some bad shit going down in the jungle, and when the Sandanista's, CIA, Contras, and Russians were all out there trading AK-47 rounds, you needed a scorecard to tell the good guys from the bad. You don't shoot priests, under any conditions. Rule of engagement number one.

Rosie, Rosie, Rosie. How could you?

I was in a Boeing 707 30K feet above the Grand Damme when she blew her top. It is another story altogether as the WHY I was there, but I was. An amazing sight to be sure.

Stupid.

Rose, Bowa, Schmidt best Brett & Co (there is yet another trivia connection here)

This was a fun movie experience back in the day

A war in the Middle East? Over Oil? This is news?

One of the greats. My personal faves are The 39 Steps, and Rear Window

I had already turned off my TV set by this time, so to this day, I have no clue as to whom did this dirty soap deed. Or was it a favor?

Photos: You KNEW there was a connection. Strange tales at SEA-TAC upon return from the Boise 70.3. Triathletes are a weird (but fun) bunch. Sometimes we keep our race numbers for days. In this case a very talented local lady picks up her luggage with her age showing on right calf (photo used by permission).

When I picked up my "gear case" somebody (between the Boise airport and the Seattle baggage claim) had attached a official Boise 70.3 medal to it. This is quite possibly the strangest thing I have seen, since, well, 1980, 28 years ago.

Guess I owe somebody a thank you.

No comments: