Saturday, November 3, 2012

NYC & RNO

Got it done. Excellent workout this November morning. Ninety challenging minutes (that passed rather quickly) followed by a 2 x 20 session. I am in full on scramble mode. Off to Sea-Tac for the flight to Reno. Tomorrow is the final shoot of the Lake Tahoe IM course project. Looks like we have amassed a couple dozen riders for the 40 mile jaunt. Weather is supposed to hold at mid-sixties and clear, and from what recon tells me there will be some snow on the shoulders. Let us get this thing done!!!

A similar refrain I was singing last night watching my suddenly blue-collar Huskies hold on and nab a rare road win. As we used to say about the rat race, even if you win, you're still a rat, winning ugly is still a win. Thank you very much. I might even get to watch a little of the much ballyhooed Oregon/SC game upon landing in RNO.

My thoughts on the NYC marathon? I have deep empathy for the denizens of the boroughs. They got hit hard. I am not entirely sure that frustration should be directed at people that have paid, and sometimes dearly, to run through those same stressed streets. Ones entry fee pays for that water and condensed sugar available along the route as well as course closures, traffic control and security. Why the constriction? Let em run. If I was moping up my place after a storm and there was a run scheduled well in advance, I think I would go volunteer and do something for others so that maybe simple good karma might allow somebody to do likewise for me in time of need. I AM NOT GONNA WHINE ABOUT IT. And yes I realize that the city has limited resources and priorities are in place, but please, BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOURSELF AND BE A PART OF THE SOLUTION.

Let em run. Quit whining. You're new Yorkers fer chrissakes.

We ran an Ironman World Championship six weeks after 911. Baseball was played during both World Wars. Help each other. Get outside yourself. Give.

A tough one to be sure. I believe my sentiment is neither insensitive nor inappropriate. Could have been a magnificent  uniter  with a growth opportunity the size of Manhattan. But fear and politics prevailed. Again.

Some say it was the right call. Maybe.

Some say it would have been a accident waiting to happen. Perhaps.

Some say digression is the better part of valor. Agreed.

Some say fools rush in where wise men never go. Indeed.

It was up to you New York, and although I am three thousand miles away, I am not sure we got it done.

No comments: