Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Woof & Aloha






Out on the Streets of Kona today. Lot's to do. Expo opens immediately after the Parade of Nations, officially marking the start of race week. Weather is perfect, a blue 86 degrees, slight off-shore winds and little vog.

First order of business was to round up the UK athletes and get them committed for interview sessions with the incomparable Simon Ward, The Triathlon Coach. We cornered Julie Dibens and Fraser Cartmell out at their Condo and managed to get in two colorful interviews as the birds sang and grounds maintenance trimmed coconut trees in the background. Working on the video as we speak, hopefully up later today before the festivities.

The gang is all here and ready to rock and roll, Alii Drive is abuzz with the world's best triathletes and the action is virtually non-stop. Glad to be back for my tenth trip to the Isle of Pele and the event they call The Big Dance.

One last non-triathlon comment, if I may (although I will set the context with a tri start). I hopped an early flight out of Vegas Saturday afternoon after the LV Gran Fondo with the specific intent to get to LAX, get a rental car, drive to the Coliseum and watch the Huskies play USC. I accomplished the first part and was in my Suzuki Avevo at precisely 1500. I had a splitting headache and a 0400 wake up call for the next mornings LA Triathlon shoot. Game time was less than 2 hours away and I had to drive two freeways and scalp a ticket. So.....

I bailed and chose to watch the first half at OBs in Manhattan Beach, nursing coffee and ice water. At the half I wandered across the street to Sharkees and watched the game fighting off sleep while the incredible college football game was unfolding. By nine I HAD to go get some sleep and when SC took the ball to the Husky 30 with less than three minutes to play, leading by two, I headed for the door, sad, but pleased that The Dawgs had put up a noble, fearless and totally entertaining fight. I, however, was cooked.

You know the rest. Here is a clip of what happened while I was driving to Debbie's couch with one eye. WOOF and Aloha.



Pix: Kona Day Uno: Last nights sunset from our lanai. Simon interviews Julie Dibens and Fraser Cartmell. Chuck, Si and Kurt at the kick-off strategy luncheon.

1 comment:

ej said...

Big Deal, USC sucks. I think the Gophers beat them earlier this season.