Friday, March 5, 2021

The Seventeenth

 313.

Unanimously passed, Harlan's motion sets about a flurry of activity. We are to complete the tedious debrief protocol with one-hundred percent focus. His caveat to the proposal, "and with a keen eye to detail," further establishes the routine's importance and timeliness. Although these parameters are always expected, they often fade quickly under the white-hot spotlight of intensity. As road-weary as we are, fatigue to the marrow, we all agree this is the way we get better and learn from our (many) mistakes. Recognizing the intensity and sheer volume of labor involved, Julie calls in a professional contact to assist in the disposition process. I once viewed this specialized vocation as government fat, but no longer as the person Julie has selected comes with the reputation as a no-nonsense extractor of truth, hurtful or otherwise. I do, however voice my unsolicited opinion that I should be debriefed by Julie herself, should scheduling allow. My reasoning is that our tenure and experience together sets the stage for a deeper analysis and broader understanding of  'situational tendencies', a term I will soon find has a secondary definition wilder than my current understanding.

The roster is drawn and work begins, everyone cognizant of the potential for serious R&R upon completion. Asking Mina for a pot of French Roast and a plate of tuna sandwiches reminds me of the simple pleasures we so often overlook when stressed with the complexities and demands of extended hours without. I feel relaxed for the first time in weeks, shoulders soft and jaw loose. I ask her for an additional favor, "Please make us a poster, big one, black on white, in English," I chide, "that says:

100% FOCUS & EYE ON DETAIL"

She flashes her million dollar Filipina smile and says, "One hundred percent at mata para sa detalye. Kaagad, si Boss."

I bow with a "Salamat" and turn to take a call from the State Department where I am dutifully read a summary of the 17th Amendment by a staffer wanting it to sound like a judgment on humanity. Being very familiar with its nuance I ask if this is in regard to the transition of power outlining the procedural flow of a removed United States Senator. I am given a surprised, "I think so."

"It is my understanding, and please correct me if I misinterpret this precious adendum, that it is in specific reference to Article 1, Section 3, that, upon removal, the process gives the state legislature the power to allow the governor to either appoint a replacement OR hold a special election." I ask trying to sound as unpretentious as possible.

"Yes, those are the notes I have, and the message I was asked to relay, sir. What is called a professional courtesy over here." He adds with a smile I can hear.

"And I sincerely thank you for that, sir. And if you have a minute, and would like something juicy to consider, should this - political science and government service - be your true calling, my mentor was fond of saying the 17th amendment satisfies all the requirements of a Constitutional altruism with its wisdom and appropriate replacement of a single word," I tease.

"Wow, what word is that, sir"

"Article 1, Section 3 replaced the word 'legislature', as it relates to the power of choosing suitable replacements, with the word 'people'."

"We…The…People."

"Right. Please keep us in the loop. Thanks again and have a wonderful Executive Branch day my young friend."

Julie walks past shaking her head.

"What?"

No comments: