Wednesday, January 20, 2021

Bet the Farm

 274.

"Let's just say that it helps to have strong relationships with mechanical contractors," says, Enzo Pirolli, a new alias, "to stay one step ahead of the Vegas shoeshine. You should be receiving a low frequency signal of all the goings-on in Goldson's gilded palace of sin."

"Outstanding work Enzo, thank you," Davis says, "You're debt to your country, at least the current one, is paid in full."

"Grazie, I will caution you however that there is some talk on the street about them, Goldson, looking for dirt, with nice rewards, on you two, so I would be careful about your communications, keep the lips tight, ya know?"

"Yes, there is one question that we need to answer, not so much for the sake of the operation, but more for our piece of mind," Davis adds.

"Are you talking about the hit order?"

"I am."

"I will tell you this; that since March I have been following their blood money, and I have not heard one mention of it as coming from Goldson or his slime-ball predecessor - may he rot in hell - so I think you need to keep looking."

"I'm confident that they would never have offered to meet with us, again, had they been in on the hit, unless they are so brazen and narcissistic that even a wounded bear presents no immediate danger." Davis floats.

"What's the angle? Why would they hop back in the sack with a pair of undercover feds who survived an assassination attempt, failed by their own ineptitude? Just doesn't add up."

"I've been trying to find an answer to that very question for almost a year, dead-ends and blanks at every turn. We were all hoping that our latest play would uncover a layer of the truth and shed some light on the mystery."

"Pretty fucking risky way to find out, you are a walking good-luck charm amico mio, I would be very careful with them, they're world-class backstabbers, and would toss you under the Nugget shuttle faster than you can lose a paycheck in this town. I would, however, think that you will get your answer a lot quicker with the headphones on," suggests Enzo.

"Right, I'm on it," Davis informs, "And by the way, who do you like in the game tomorrow?"

"Rams and the points. Bet the farm."

No comments: