Friday, March 2, 2018

Pie

May I continue?

Again yesterday we discussed the fascinating relationship between what we do (specifically indoor cycling) and why we do what we do. The meta-cognition involved in thinking about our thinking of this incredibly important activity intrigues me like a moth to the flame. For a couple of reasons. Rightfully first is the search for as deep an understanding as possible. This is what artists, researchers, novelists, musicians, teachers, athletes, parents, and anyone interested in the mastery of their passion seeks. Therefore I seek the bottom line. I search for meaning and a depth of understanding that will allow a more successful retelling of the details necessary to properly, or more adequately, answer the questions that my clients may have. You know, the 'why do we do is this way?' questions.

Secondly, and I have no shame in this admission, is the simple fact that anyone in possession of these secrets will find themselves going to the bank quite often in the capitalistic fast-track of profit. Consider, humorously, the 30 days to washboard abs, the 'I lost 30 pounds in 30 days' conceit, our obsession with body image, or even the South Beach Diet, and, once you finish rolling your eyes, quickly see what I mean. Here is the caveat:

I am interested in increasing our quality of life. Starting with the way that we exercise. This absolutely simple as pie recipe is filled with goodies like kinesiology, nutrition, recovery rates, gastrointestinal malfunctions, cellular bio genesis, liver function, electrolyte replacement, sarcopenia, mitochondria, biochemical fatigue, proprioceptors, and even your hypothalamus, all filling that simple pie with a mash-up of individual tasty parts. Combined, they create the sweet you that you are. Or would like to become. Yet we have found that this is not nearly as simple as merely adding sugar.

All meaning that the baker, the candlestick maker or the exercise physiologist in possession of the appropriate amount, the precise details, the scope of understanding and the ability to capsulize it all into a formula, stands a very good chance of success. Success in this case meaning the sharing of  'the pie' with others. If a humble profit comes from that effort, one can forgive ordering the pie ala mode, as a scoop if French Vanilla is a small price to pay for a desert of this value.

In closing, sipping an espresso, we feel we have (a part) of that formula. What we do in the PowerBarn, is not rocket surgery or brain science, it is a proven, safe and supportive facility for folks to squeeze a workout into their busy day. We try to make it fun but most importantly it has to work. We all like results. I will offer this as food for thought: Last night I did a 10 mile TT in a very mediocre 27 minutes and change, actually taking heart rate, something I pay close attention to, to a new high in the process. Afterwords, as I sat in recovery feeling oddly empowered by my effort (not the time - the effort), I finished a cheese sandwich and thought how good a slice of my fave, strawberry rhubarb, might be.

And passed.