Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Day one-oh-five

Extreme workouts hurt more than they used to. We ripped off an impossible hour this morning, repeating standing hill climbs for three minutes each at 80% of the max resistance on our Keiser spin bikes. OK, we "rested" for 60 seconds between each, but as anybody who does repeats knows, there is NEVER enough recovery time.

The other factor is my as-yet diagnosed heart condition. When we did the Holter monitor a few weeks back it reported a high of over 200 bpm during the same class, albeit a different protocol. 200! So when my head started to feel the dizzying effects of this morning's work, a splinter of fear snuck in.

Seriously, could I make my own heart explode? Is stroke the fuse? Would I have any warning, like say a flashing red light or alarm?

After the set (labeled dumb, stupid and insane by those in the know) legs went wobbly and HR stayed high long enough for me to drive home, enjoy a yoghurt filled half a cantaloupe and take a nap.

And now we settle back into the flow of this new adventure. That includes the evening 2x20 session in the PowerBarn, our CompuTrainer Multi-Rider Center. (photo)

I wonder if everything is going to hurt more from now on. Yikes.

No comments: