Thursday, November 10, 2011

Canoe?











A marvelous opportunity this morning to do some more exploration.

A hand went up from the back row signaling an issue needing clarification. With my usual morning class this rarely happens as they are very well versed in the protocols, practices and principles under which our high-intensity spins are conducted. But this was a new class, with new students, and new exchange ops. In this scenario I need to be more of a listener than a talker. The question was the classic one, how do I know when I am going hard enough?


Fighting the urge for glibness (when you puke) my response took the remainder of the 60 minutes. It included a succinct description of the Borg scale of RPE, the scientific method, exercise physiology, the human mind, Deoxyribonucleic acid, functional threshold power, watts and heart rate, dose and response, fuel, quality of life, available training time, individual motivation, goals, the four minute mile, NSAIDS, metaphysics and predestination.


She seemed sincerely interested so I allowed the dialogue to continue as we alternated seated climbs with standing ones.


"So if you say this is a number 7 hill, meaning 7 of 10 on the RPE scale and it will last three minutes, and I make it to the (metaphoric) top easily, it wasn't a real seven, but some other lesser value that my mind concocted to make life easier on my poor weak legs I inherited from my father?"


Correct. It was probably a five.


And to improve we need to constantly add resistance and duration, making that five a seven?


Correct. Your darts are surrounding the bull's-eyes in a nice pattern.


But what happens when we get to ten?


You won't.


Why not?


Because that is MAX and 99 out of 100 give up before they get there, for a number of reasons, the most common of which is pain. It hurts like heck up there.


But what if I am the one in 100?


Then your 10 becomes a 6.


Silence.


Another hill. I could see the cogs turning.


And sense that she wanted to tell me from pragmatic experience what it was like to be the one in a hundred to get to the top and report back. Fate has an uncanny sense of humor and as I allowed her the opportunity to witness firsthand the ethereal pleasures of an intense 20% climb, AC/DC took the stage. Bagpipes can do wonders for one's mojo.


Do you have more, can you give more, can you go more, can you? Then do it NOW.


It's a long way to the top. The answer lies deep within. Most of us, the 99, won't make it. I said I don't think that is most important.


Exasperated, cooked and panting she blurted, THEN WHAT IS?


That you try.


Keep trying to improve, add resistance, load up on stress, repeat, that is how we grow. Can I give more is the question you have got to ask relentlessly each step of your way.


She seemed satisfied with that.


I am too.


Can I and can you?


PiX: The double helix and the Birkebeiner off-road 90K from Rena to Lillehammer, Norway shot last year. Just when you think its a six……

12 comments:

FW said...

The world record marathon time in seconds is 7,418. To go below two hours, the goal is 7,199 seconds. The world record runner would have to run 2.952% faster to break two hours.

FW said...

Another way to look at the goal is to run at 13.219 mph for every mile of 26.21875 miles.

FW said...

The world record pace was set at 12.724 mph.

KML5 said...

I wonder how much money will have to be offered to get that additional 3%? You agree that to train for that one must first run 12.724mph for ONE MILE?

KML5 said...

And just for the sake of comparison, those are 4:22 miles @ 12.74mph. I can't even do ONE at 5!! Then do 25 more of them. That is the goal. Ouch indeed.

FW said...

My fastest cross country mile on foot was 6:20, and that was in 1984.

KML5 said...

Good work, wasn't that long ago. We should do a mile TT and see where we are. Bet ej would win, dude is fast.

FW said...

How about 4 laps on the high school track some weekend?

ej said...

you guys are trying to bait me into exercising. this is a world record for comments on an RCVman post.

KML5 said...

And without any mention of money, food or sex!!!

FW said...

Run 13.219 mph for 26.22 miles and you get all three.

KML5 said...

In spades! Looks like I will have to settle for food. Alas.