Sunday, March 2, 2008

WAR


Towards the end of 1943, the US was issuing almost 100 million ration books so that American families at home could get sugar, coffee, shoes and meat. My Italian Grandfather was a meat cutter in Venice, Ca. at the time. My Grandmother Naomi's ration book is the top one. I was born nine years later during the Korean "conflict", and in college during Vietnam. My birthday gave me number 111 in the draft that ended in 1971. They took all eligible boys up to number 109. I remember my Mom saying that she would come and visit me in Canada if they got to 111. Now we're at it again in the Middle East. Why do we ration peace, love and understanding?

They wondered aloud if there might be a shortage of common sense afflicting those elected to public office. After a while you forget what it's about, who it's for. So you just keep fighting and spending and spinning lies. Power and greed and corporate profit. And then we get a recession and out of control inflation and another million enemies. My Papa Ralph would not be happy about this. Basta cosi, he would have said.

No comments: